Wednesday, February 21, 2007

New York & Explosions Show



Explosions In The Sky @ The Warsaw in Brooklyn, NY was the place to be on President's Day. In case you didn't know, EITS is the only respectable thing to come out of the state of Texas (ok, that and my friend Montoya). This was only the first of four EITS shows I will see in the next three months. Starr Hill & the 9:30 Club in March and Coachella in April all await me. The joy of seeing this band live for the very first time and on the first day of their World Tour was a pretty special moment for me.

While my trip to NY was shortern than I had anticipated, I enjoyed the time hanging out with my sister. After the bus dropped me off at around 5:30 pm Sunday Afternoon, my sister decided that we go out for one or two drinks with her boyfriend, pick up some grub, and head back to her place and watch a movie. We set off on foot and wound up at a bar in the city called, Common Ground. After picking up a couple Stella's we chatted it up while waiting for her boyfriend. Twenty minutes later her boyfriend, Brett, showed up. After two rounds of cold beers, the three of us noticed that our bartender, Ellen, was taking shots with other customers. That's when Brett decieded, "let's see if she'll take some Jager shots with us." Of course I wasn't into the whole shot taking deal with the fear that I would puke later on, but Ellen made it clear that she wouldn't take one if I didn't. Before you know it, we had taken four shots of Jager and a shot of Tequilla. What the fuck was I thinking? I thought my sister said a drink or two!? Ellen was trashed and so were the three of us. We soon asked for our check and within a few minutes, Ellen gave us our bill.......with 29 shots charged to Brett's credit card. Maybe we told everyone at the bar that they could have a shot on us. Your guess is as good as mine. The rest of the night is a complete blur, but notable events include Ellen crying, the manager calling a cab for us, and the usual me waking up at 6 in the morning to make sure I have my wallet, my cell phone, and backpack in the apartment and not in some random cab in NYC.

*LIVE* Explosions In the Sky performance of "Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

incredible, can't wait to see them in March man, later.